Thursday, October 29, 2009

The fall

Ok, seriously. It's fall here in the Midwest. Since I am from the St. Louis area, I have seen it all. St. Louis has THE WORST weather on the face of the planet. Sometimes, I look up the temperatures in Alaska and cross check it with the temperatures in St. Louis and I get jealous of Alaska. I should move to Alaska. It's sunshiny for days at a time, they pay you to live in their state and there is nature all around. That might actually be a downside for me. I do not do well with the outdoors, or machines. I think those two oddly go together. You have to fix your own shit when you live in the middle of nowhere. (Plus, sometimes it gets warmer than St. Louis). Anyway. I hate fall....everyone is sneezy, it rains like 5 out of 7 days a week, the temperature fluctuates from smoggy to frigid within an hour and a half. It's like wintertime, except with warmer temperatures and just replace the snow with more rain. Speaking of sneezy, I feel like the sneezes are contagious. Just like the mirror neurons used for contagious yawning....once someone sneezes, everyone in the whole room starts sneezing. It's so ridiculous too, when you're in a lecture and you're trying to concentrate and then....
Achooo.
ten seconds later....
Achoooooo.
Five Seconds late,
Achoo, Achoo.
And before you know it everyone has sneezed and is now sniffling.
Also, that's another problem. Summer is warm and flu free and once October rolls around, EVERYONE has the flu. Flus wouldn't be so bad if they didn't come with the sniffles. I think that sniffling is one of my petpeeves, but only upon occasion. Sniffling people in classrooms can definitely be annoying. I guess it isn't their fault. There is a tremendous amounts of Kleenex until you need a freakin Kleenex and then there is none to be found. In the summertime, you couldn't give it away, but in late October, the prices are inflated.....people are selling it in back alleys for an increased rate. I once THREW AWAY Kleenex..........blasphemy.
The nice thing about fall is.....you're looking forward to the Holidays. Once Halloween rolls around, then next thing you know it's Thanksgiving and then BAM....Christmas and then BAM.....a whole new year. I always get the hungries in the Fall though. Me and my nameless roommate were just chitchatting about this via the Facebook machine. I rarely get to see her, so Facebook's the best way to chitchat. Anyway, I can't stop eating. I like to think it's because I've used sooooo many calories with my walking to and from school and bicycling up and down the flat streets of my small town, but come on, that's not the reason.
I think I have the hungries in the Fall because my body knows what's coming, and it's preparing the best it can for the inclement conditions of winter by stocking up on carbohydrates. Ya know what I never considered doing? Cutting out carbs. I can kinda see cutting out candy and sweets (I would never give up Chips Ahoy Chunky, never, not ever), and I can kind of see cutting out dairy (I'm L.Intolerant, let's not telling anyone---I don't want to be bullied for my differences). But, CARBS? That is the meal of the Romans and the Greeks. And, I'm sure the Persians jumped on the carb bandwagon too. The meal of the middle class Egyptians who worked on the pyramids was rich, thick BREAD. Not, a veggie salad with a light vinaigrette. BREAD. If they could make the pyramids off of two slices of bread for lunch, that's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment