Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Favorite Pastimes: Snow Edition

I love the snow. It always comes around Christmas time and Christmas time brings all that jazz.
BUT THIS BLOG POST ISN'T ABOUT CHRISTMAS, IT'S ABOUT SNOW.
I feel that snow gets a bad reputation sometimes:
----It's always cold when it happens and most people don't like the cold.
----Car accidents due to the inclement conditions. I am an inclement condition. I cause vehicular accidents because I am a bad driver.
----You, rather I, put on like 10 pounds during the winter (and I don't lose the weight until like September---just in time to gain it all back again).
----When you have to pee, you have to remove like 18 layers of clothes. And, if you gotta go really bad, well, that sucks.
---Ice. With snow, comes melting snow and then refreezing snow, which makes ice. Ice is no bueno. NO BUENO, people.
---Falling on the ice. I fall when it is 75 degrees and sunny. What do you get when you add freezing temps and climate problemos?
---Scraping the snow and ice off of your car. Can be fun---but I've never experienced the fun.
I actually really like the snow, though. It always gets blamed for many problems like the aforementioned examples, but I love when it snows.
Plus, snow is always left out of the conversation around the holidays.
So, here's to you, snow. This is why you're hot (in the metaphorical sense):
1. You don't soak me.
---you really don't. Your lovely flakes coat my clothes and my hair but never soak me thoroughly. I never need an umbrella, ella, ella eh, eh eh. Clearly better than rain.
2. It's pretty. Snow blankets the land. It's quite lovely.
3. Fun! Snow's really fun.
4. A continuation of #3, you can have snowball fights, build snowmen and snowwomen. Plus, you can sled and sledding is fun. I missed out on sledding last year and I am NOT happy about it.
The whoosh of your hair as you slide down a steep slope. You hear a high-pitched scream and after the annoyance fades, you realize it was you making that god awful noise.
5. EVERY FLAKE IS DIFFERENT. Isn't that mind blowing? I know that blows my mind.
6. You can write poems about snow. Robert Frost did (and so can you).
7. You can eat it. (not the yellow snow, or the snow on busy roads...but the white stuff is okay).
8. It has so much personality. It's like rain for the most part, except better. Sometimes it snows hard, sometimes it never hits the ground. Other times, it snows sideways, vertically, horizontally. There are thundersnows, flurries, thick snow, hard snow, wet snow, dry snow. Icy snow. Rainsnow. Shrimp gumbo, pineapple shrimp, coconut shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew.
9. It melts and forms around trees. It makes trees and bushes and plants and houses really pretty. Weird too.
10. Everything becomes silent. People stay in, less cars are out on the roads and there is a certain silence that comes with a snowfall.
11. Snow days! Kids get off of school. My college doesn't call for snow days, but still, remember when that was AMAZING.
12. Hot chocolate. After sledding, running into the house where Mom had steamy hot chocolate waiting on the snow. That was the shit.
13. Accessories. I had to say it. Yep. Scarves, mittens and gloves, hats (which I loathe), jackets, coats, boots, galoshes (whatever the hell galoshes even means).
14. Quality time indoors. Family time is good time (unless it's the holidays; then the claws come out).
15. Fire.
---indoor fires, fireplaces, stoves.
Clearly, it recently snowed here in the Midwest and as a lovely, loyal Midwesterner, I had to give it a shoutout.

1 comment: