Saturday, February 6, 2010

Love

Recently, I have come to fully understand America's stance on love. Love. love. Big Love. regular love. Small love. No love.
We, as Americans are obsessed with love (and the lack thereof). We show love in cards, in gifts, in public displays of affection, in songs, in more songs, in poetry, in songs (all kinds of songs, really).
We also like to use metaphors and similes to talk about love. We, as Americans, love (here that word is again) to make huge generalizations about love. We also like to have cute, memorable sayings for love. For example:
Love is a battlefield.
All is fair in love and war.
Roses are red....sugar is sweet and I love you.
L...is for the way you look at me. O...is for the only one I see. Etc, etc.
Love will keep us together, think of me babe whenever.
Love your enemies as yourself.
Love; two minds, one thought. (WHAT???!?@?@????)
All you need is LOVE.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all (someone clearing who is a third party in a break up scenario....no one would say that if they are in the process of breaking up.)
Love the one yo' with.
The grandest one of all is those paintings that grandmas have in their bathrooms (my grandma has one in her bathroom) and it says: Love does not hope, love is kind, love is forgiving, love is not envy....etc, etc. By the time I am through reading all of those and analyzing my own love/life, I've been in the bathroom 36 minutes. I get so confused and my head gets dizzy---how am I supposed to remember so much from just one painting?? Ridiculous.
I like to invent my own.
Love is like a pineapple: Hard on the outside, sweet on the inside.
Love is like a pill. Difficult going down, once you got it, it's worth it.
Love is like a beach. Pretty rocky, expensive, you can find shells in the sand, you see grown adults half naked all of the time, someone there to get your back with sunblock. the end. (Although I've never been to the ocean, I am sure this is accurate)

No comments:

Post a Comment