Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My Favorite Christmas Songs

I know it's a bit late, but if I don't write this, I think I am going to explode. I have a bone to pick with whomever is responsible for singing/listening to/making popular Christmas songs. You are picking the wrong ones to make popular and glorify. I'm here to set you straight (with passive/aggressive blog posts.)
Here are my under-appreciated favorite Christmas songs:
1. Baby it's cold Outside
Guy tries to convince the girl to stay awhile because it's cold outside (baby)
2. Santa Baby
Girl lists all the extravagant gifts she wants for Christmas: yacht, ring, convertible.
3. I Saw Three Ships Come Sailing In
(On Christmas Day, On Christmas Day)
That's the only lyrics I know (or anyone knows), but I still love the song. So catchy.
4. Good King Wenceslas
"...looked out, on the feast of Stephen. When the snow lay round about, deep and crisp and even." (I had to look these lyrics and spelling up on google). This song, as you might recall, was made popular by Love Actually (Hugh Grant's character sings this song for a bunch of cute, dancing, demanding British girls).
5. Mary Did You Know (that your baby boy)
Kinda preachy, but beautiful. Especially when played with a full orchestra.
6. Rocking Around The Christmas Tree
Thank you, Brenda Lee. I would rock with you any day, home fry. This song's the bomb.
7. Walking in a Winter Wonderland
When I was a kid, I used to play this song year round. Now that I turned 21, I've stopped.

Just for the record: I do NOT like the song about Grandma getting run over by reindeer. Makes me cry every time. I also cry at the song I'll be Home for Christmas (if only in my dreams). Tears. Just writing it makes me have tears.
The worst of them all: Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer. Why isn't anyone (like Santa, or Mrs. Claus) punishing the other reindeer for being so mean? Why didn't Santa notice Rudolph's gift sooner? I am sure other Christmas nights were foggy....why didn't Santa take notice. Sketchy to me, Santa Claus (if that IS your REAL name).
Another bad song: The Twelve Days of Christmas.
I always get confused, 11 pipers piping, 6 geese a-laying, 5 calling birds?? Not only can I not count backwards from 12, I skip many levels of gifts (maids: skipped, drummers: skipped, turtle doves: non-existent).
Also, by the by, how come Christmas songs are either so happy, or they make me cry and depressed. I guess that's just how the Christmas holiday is.
Anyway, thanks for reading! Catch ya here next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment